Complete Scheme of Work (includes PowerPoint and worksheets)
The Of Mice and Men scheme of work is an excellent teaching and learning resource for teachers of Steinbeck’s classic novel. Resources include a 272 slide PowerPoint, dozens of worksheets and step by step lesson plans to help teach one of KS4 / GCSE Literature’s most popular novels. Every lesson is planned out using the four part lesson plan, following the starter, introduction, development and plenary format. The resource fully utilises the potential of PowerPoint as a teaching resource, all PowerPoint slides are clear and easy to follow and use a number of techniques to help students develop knowledge and understanding of the novel Of Mice and Men. Bold headings, bright and attractive use of colour, photographs, cartoons and video clips are all used to make this PowerPoint come alive on either an interactive whiteboard or overhead projector. The resource is also very effective on a PC or laptop when used in one to one tuition. Although the resource includes worksheets, the real advantage of using PowerPoint is the ability to edit the slide’s content. Teachers can add extra slides to the PowerPoint, delete the pages, change the text, imagery and video clips and update it as is necessary - in fact all slides in the PPT are fully editable. In addition, the resource contains a student booklet packed with worksheets created to use in conjunction with the PowerPoint. Like the PPTs the worksheets are bright, colourful and very student friendly and although worksheets are under the copyright of Teacher-of-English.com, they can be photocopied for use in the classroom.
To view the Of Mice and Men PowerPoint in more detail you can preview the resource by clicking on the slides in the preview box underneath the resource’s description.
The scheme of work itself is a progressive resource; A series of 40 lessons made to enhance and develop pupil knowledge and understanding of the novel. English Teaching Resources: Of Mice and Men covers all the key areas required by the National Curriculum and includes a range of activities for pupils of all abilities such as:
- a brief biography of Steinbeck and the social and historical context of the Depression and the 1930’s
- activities to develop knowledge of the plot of Of Mice and Men
- in depth analysis of the characters of George, Lennie, Candy, Crooks, Curley’s Wife, Curley and Slim
- exploration of the key themes of Of Mice and Men (dreams, loneliness, racism, marginalisation, friendship)
- the social and historical context of the novel (the Wall Street Crash and the depression of the 1930s)
- developing awareness of the features of a novel – character, theme, plot, style, etc
- teaching the use of Point/Evidence/Explain to write about Of Mice and Men
- Steinbeck’s message and the role of Crooks, Curley’s Wife, Candy and Lennie
- cloze passages for each chapter to consolidate understanding of the plot
- analysis of Steinbeck’s language in key scenes in Of Mice and Men
- Steinbeck’s creation of tension and suspense
- hot seating activities
- empathy question preparation - Diary and letter writing
- sequencing activities
- Of Mice and Men video links to help the teaching and learning of key scenes
- developing inference and deduction skills
English Teaching Resources: Of Mice and Men scheme of work has everything you need.